Motor theft/hijacking claims

posted 31 Jul 2016, 06:14 by Melvin Hoods   [ updated 3 Sep 2016, 11:33 ]

    1. Claims procedure – Motor theft/hijacking claims

      1. Alert tracking company as soon as practically possible of theft/hijacking if vehicle was fitted with a tracking device.

      2. Report immediately to the nearest police station, but not later than 24 hours

      3. Report immediately to MJD, but not later than 7 days

      4. Truck theft/hijacking claims must be reported to MJD the same day so that we can inform insurers accordingly as they sometimes also assist with the tracking and recovery of the stolen/hijacked vehicle

      5. A reasonable waiting period of approximately two weeks is observed, in case the vehicle is recovered in this period, before settlement is made

      6. Submit the following documents to MJD within 14 days:

        • Completed motor theft/hijacking claim form

        • Copy of statement made to the police

        • Settlement letter from the finance house if the vehicle was subject to a finance agreement

        • Cancellation of registration certificate

        • Tracking/gearlock certificate if applicable

        • Spare keys, remotes, gearlock keys and immobilizer units must be handed in to insurers.

      7. If the vehicle is recovered and had already been de-registered, then the following documents is required:

        • Police clearance certificate – must be done by owner of the vehicle.

        • New VIN and/or engine number, if these have been filed off by the hijackers, either issued by SAPS or by the manufacturer.

        • Quote for repairs to damage caused by the thieved/hi-jackers

        • New roadworthy certificate and re-registration certificate issued by the licensing authorities.

        • The license fees and roadworthy would normally be paid by the insurance company

Motor Accident Claims Procedure

posted 31 Jul 2016, 06:09 by Melvin Hoods   [ updated 3 Sep 2016, 11:30 ]

      1. Claims procedure – Motor accident claims

    By the insured:

        1. Stop the vehicle immediately

        2. If no fatalities/injuries, then you may remove your vehicle out of harm’s way to avoid traffic congestion or further accidents.

        3. If there are fatalities/Injuries, summon the police and ambulance service immediately and do not move any of the vehicles until a police officer authorizes it’s removal.

        4. Render all possible assistance and/or first aid procedures that you are capable of rendering to any injured person.

    Record all relevant details of the accident, if possible, whilst on the scene and still fresh in your mind. If possible take photographs of all important aspects – see Annexure 6 for template of brief accident details.

        1. Accidents where you think that persons may have been injured must be reported by the owner/driver directly to the Road Accident Fund (RAF) at P. O. Box 2743, Pretoria, 0001, on the prescribed form, obtainable from any police station, within 14 days. – See note on RAF cover below – refer to procedure manual for relevant forms

        2. If the vehicle is drivable (NB make sure that there is no water or oil leaking!!!) ………

        3. If the vehicle is not drivable ……. Obtain towing assistance fro an approved towing

    company – remember there may be certain limitations for payment of towing claims. Your

    are ultimately responsible to get your vehicle to a place of safety and that no further

    loss/damage is sustained

        1. Quotes for repairs to the vehicle may be obtained from any SAMBRA accredited repairer of your choice, but remember to choose a repairer whose repair work which will not invalidate the warranty of your vehicle

        2. Remember to take down full particulars of the other part involved in the accident including make, model & reg number of veicle, name and cintact details of driver and/or owner of the vehicle etc

        3. Give your name and address to any person having reasonable grounds for requiring it – e.g police, person of the other vehicle.

        4. Do not admit liability or responsibility for the accident even if you are at fault. Rather say that you are insured for the accident and that your insurance company will determine the extent of your liability.

        5. Obtain name and contact details of independent witnesses if there are any. Independent witnesses are any person who witnessed the accident who is not ……….

        6. Report the accident to the nearest police station within 24 hours from the time of the accident and get the name and reference number of the police station – This is policy as well as a legal requirement

        7. On certain complicated claims you will be requested to obtain a copy of the police report – in term of the Access to info act you are that will have access to the report.

        8. Report the accident immediately or as soon as possible to MJD who will notify your insurer accordingly.

        9. Submit the following documentation within 14 days to MJD:

          • Completed motor accident claim form – see templates

          • Enlarged copy of driver’s license – both sides

          • Copy of driver’ s identity document

          • Copy of approved repairers quotation (see 8 above)

          • Additional docs required for truck claims:

          • Code 14 Driver’s license and Professional driving permit (PDP)

          • Certificate of fitness (COF) of truck & trailer

          • Copy of weighbridge certificate

          • Additional docs required for total loss/written off vehicles:

          • Change of ownership form completed by claimant in two fold and signed but not dated

          • Original registration certificate

          • Original and duplicate keys of the vehicle (if available)

          • Vehicle service register

          • Settlement letter with the finance house if vehicle is still under finance agreement

          • Copy of the police report

        10. In terms of total loss claims insurer will settle on either replacement (domestic polices only and only if vehicle is less than 12 month old from new registration) or retail or market value (depending on the basis the vehicle was insured)

        11. The vehicle is deemed a total loss if the estimated repair cost exceed 75% of the replacement/retail or market value and this is confirmed by the assessor and repairer.

        12. Betterment may be applied to your claim – e.g tyres – See definitions for explanation on betterment.

        13. Your excess/first amount payable must be paid to repairer on collection of vehicle. This is deducted from the settlement of a total loss claim

        14. Release to be signed at repairer if you are totally satisfied with repairs or an agreement of loss is issued by the insurer for you to sign in the event of a total loss

        15. Non mechanical parts may be replaced by second hand parts (if available) for vehicles older than one year

        16. Any correspondence received from TP, letter of demand, summons etc. must be forwarded, unanswered, immediately on to MJD for further action

        17. TP recoveries can take between 3 month to five years to finalise – please be patient!!

        18. Expect a premium increase following your claim due to loss of no claim bonus

        19. The following documents are required in respect of Goods in Transit claims involving heavy commercial vehicles:

    • Copy of the driver’s license and PrDP - a clear copy is required to enable us to read the expiry dates of both the license and the PrDP.

    • Copy of the driver’s statement or details of the circumstances of the accident/loss.

    • Copy of the License & Roadworthy Certificate (COF’s) for the horse and trailer/s.

    • Copy of the load confirmation and or contract in respect of the transportation of the load. (this would indicate if you are responsible for the insurance of the load whilst the load is in your custody.). If the contract is verbal in nature, please provide a letter stating the terms of the verbal agreement.

    • Copy of the original delivery note.

    • Copy of the weigh bridge ticket both in (after the accident) and out (before the accident).

    • Copy of the supplier’s invoice. (invoice between the owner and his client). We need all the invoices for the whole load.

    • Copy of the final priced claim against your company.

    • Details of transport rates as would have been charged if the load was successfully delivered.

    • Details of the police case number and station where this incident was reported.

    • Details of recovery costs to recover the load on the scene of the accident.

    • Copies of any photographs that are available.

    • Third Party details (if any).

    By the Broker(MJD):

    1. Receive all docs from client

    2. Pass on docs to insurer

    3. Monitor and follow up claim

    4. Compile claims checklist

    By the Insurer:

    1. Receive all documentation

    2. Check accuracy and completeness of documantaion

    3. Check if cover is in order

    4. Check if premium is up to date

    5. Appoint an assessor to agree and authorize repairs for claims over R2000

    6. Basis of settlemt - May repair, replace, reinstate

    7. Vehicle writing off criteria

    8. May apply betterment - explain

    9. Settlement – AOL/Reease from repairer

    10. Recovery actions/TP claimdefence – see annexure below for procedures

    11. Salvage

    12. Delete vehicle/adjust no claim bonus

    1-2 of 2